Using elastomer in the field of microsystems brings some advantages compared
with the use of other material, like silicon for instance:
- In the case of actuators, it reduces the power consumption for actuation. As
an example, one me actuating voltage, an elastomeric microbridge will exhibit a
larger deflection compared with a silicon-based microbridge. Reciprocally, in
order to produce the me deflection for both microbridges, the elastomer-based
one will need a lesser actuation voltage.
- It increases the sensibility of the sensors. For instance, in the case of an
acceleration sensor, the sensitivity of the microsystem based on elastomer
material will be several times greater than the silicon-based one.
This materials bring with them three advantages:
- A reduction of actuating power for MEMS devices. This is a crucial point for
many fields of application, mobile telephony being one of them.
- An increase sensitivity of microsensors based on this kind of materials. This
way the application field is considerably enlarged.
- Because of the diversity of the elastomer material family, which are
exhibiting very diverse properties, the application area for elastomer based
microsystems is also enlarged